Our commitment to safety is simple: if we're not safe, nothing else matters. This attitude extends to our employees' families, our contractors, the communities in which we operate and all other Tervita stakeholders.
No job is ever too important that we can’t take the time to do it safely. We believe our employees are entitled to productive, healthy careers in an incident-free workplace. This also extends to our employees' family members, our contractors, the communities in which we operate and all other Tervita stakeholders.
Whether we are providing environmental remediation, operating treatment, recovery and disposal facilities and engineered landfills, or working in an office, safety influences our actions, guides our decisions and shapes our culture.
Our Health, Safety AND ENVIRONMENT Policy
Tervita is committed to delivering the highest standards of health, safety and environmental performance. We believe that Safety Matters in All that we do and that no one should suffer harm at work. This policy statement defines our commitments to our employees, clients, partners and shareholders.
We will deliver our operations and services in ways to:
- Protect the health and safety of all people impacted by our work;
- Prevent incidents and injuries so that everyone can return home unharmed;
- Prevent pollution and minimize our impact on the environment; and
- Responsibly manage all aspects of our business to fulfill compliance obligations.
We will achieve this through:
- Leaders at all levels placing health, safety and environment at the top of their agenda;
- Clear objectives set to measure our performance and support continuous improvement;
- Tervita management and supervisory levels providing appropriate resources, support and training to ensure safe work and accomplish health, safety and environmental objectives;
- Tervita employees being responsible for identifying hazards, determining risk, and being involved in the risk control process;
- Personnel having the authority and responsibility to refuse and stop work without repercussion when an unsafe situation is identified;
- Transparent investigations and open communications on health, safety and the environment to increase awareness;
- Operational audits to support compliance with legislation and our policy, standards, objectives and targets;
- Direction of those who work with us to meet our standards; and
- Tervita employees being responsible for adhering to our Health, Safety and Environment Management System.