Tervita is a leading environmental solutions provider. Our integrated earth, water, waste and resource solutions deliver safe and efficient results through all phases of a project by minimizing impact, maximizing returns.™ Our dedicated employees are trusted sustainability partners to oil and gas, construction, mining, government and communities. Safety is our highest priority: it influences our actions and shapes our culture.
Why Work for Tervita?
- Competitive wages and comprehensive benefit plan
- Opportunities for career growth
- Industry - leading experience
- A culture that puts safety first
As a key member of the Tervita team, this position is responsible for providing mentorship and guidance to Operations in the implementation of our HSE Management System. Our advisors are Health and Safety coaches and guide operations on policies and practices to build a safety-first behavior-based culture and continuous improvement. Specifically, this requires partnering with operations teams to effectively align and implement programs, providing education and training, leading audit initiatives, capturing and following up on incidents, and assisting in understanding and use of JSA’s, SOPs, and supporting documents found in the HSE Management System.
This position is based out of Fort St. John, BC or Grande Prairie, AB.
- Be a courageous safety leader in all that you do.
- Input all incidents into Tervita’s incident capture system.
- Coordinate / participate in all required incident investigations for assigned area. This may require facilitation, participation or leading the investigation.
- Review reports and investigations for accuracy and completeness.
- Monitor and conduct follow up actions on incident reports to ensure recommended actions are implemented and closed out.
- Support and coordinate with Human Resources with the WCB processes, Claims Reviews and return to work programs for their respective area.
- Provide education and training to operations as required.
- Assist in the updating / creation of:
- Site Assessments
- Projects specific safety plans
- Supporting documents
- Develop safety alerts as required.
- Undertake internal audits as per the Tervita process.
- Assist in area Emergency Response Plan updating as required.
- Travel as required to support operations.
- 5-8 years of experience in a health and safety position.
- NCSO or CRSP designation.
- Certified in root cause incident investigation.
- Experience in industrial settings (metals yards, etc.)
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office, MS Project, etc.)
- Holds valid driver’s license.
- Positive / self-motivated and fully engaged as a key member of a multi-disciplinary team; takes hands-on accountability for his/her work and the success of the area.
- Ability to work openly and co-operatively with team members.
- Role model of professional conduct pursuing excellence in execution, seeking opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Demonstrates an ability to anticipate outcomes, adjust approaches and services accordingly with respect to Health & Safety.
- Ability / willingness to learn / develop new skills sets.
- Lead by example.
Tervita Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, gender/sex, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, military/veteran status, citizenship status, the basis of genetic information or any other group protected by Federal or Provincial law or local ordinance.
Applicants who are extended an employment offer will be required to complete a pre-employment check. All employment offers are contingent upon the successful completion of this pre-employment process.