Tervita is a leading environmental solutions provider. Our integrated earth, water, waste and resource solutions deliver safe and efficient results through all phases of a project by minimizing impact, maximizing returns.™ Our dedicated employees are trusted sustainability partners to oil and gas, construction, mining, government and communities. Safety is our highest priority: it influences our actions and shapes our culture.
Why Work for Tervita?
- Competitive wages and comprehensive benefit plan
- Opportunities for career growth
- Industry - leading experience
- A culture that puts safety first
The Transfer Station Labourer is responsible for day-to-day duties on site needed to complete work in a safe and timely fashion and maintain a clean work site. This position must also adhere to our safety program and work as a contributing member of the site team.
*Please note this position is approximately 26 hours per week.
- Repack similar waste into larger means of containment for efficient transportation and disposal
- Physical lab packing / bulking of chemicals
- Actively participate in counting all waste containers within the facility and document accurately
- Provide general labour services as required
- Operate processing equipment and power tools
- Complete maintenance, inspections and checks and perform basic repairs.
- Actively participate in safety meetings and daily tailgate meetings
- Abide by Tervita's Occupational Health and Safety Program
- Assist in creating and maintaining a clean and organized Facility which emphasizes team work and housekeeping
- Participate in field and emergency response support when required
- Mentor junior labourers
- Operate fork trucks safely in the offloading, loading and waste movements
- Takes direction from the Lead Hand
- Maintains transfer station in compliance as pertains to the operating approval.
- Demonstrates safety culture in making sure all staff and contractors conform as a minimum to the Tervita HSE policies
- Interfaces with the public routinely and assists them in the placement and transfer of material
- Reconciles cash and charge accounts.
- Informs the lead hand at least 1 week in advance of inventory consumable items required.
- Inputs and Maintains the electronic and or manual tracking systems for waste and recyclables.
- Is responsible for a safe site to both internal and external stakeholders.
- 1-2 years of General Labourer experience
- Post-Secondary Science education related to: Chemistry, Biology or Environmental Studies would be an asset, but is not required
- Competent at completing documents accurately on a daily basis
- Good understanding of the regional Occupational Health and Safety requirements and ability to operate mobile equipment in a safe and efficient manner
- Strong work ethic and willingness to persevere through difficult weather conditions, challenging work site environments and long demanding work days
Tervita Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, gender/sex, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, military/veteran status, citizenship status, the basis of genetic information or any other group protected by Federal or Provincial law or local ordinance.
Applicants who are extended an employment offer will be required to complete a pre-employment check. All employment offers are contingent upon the successful completion of this pre-employment process.