Tervita is a leading environmental solutions provider. Our integrated earth, water, waste and resource solutions deliver safe and efficient results through all phases of a project by minimizing impact, maximizing returns.™ Our dedicated employees are trusted sustainability partners to oil and gas, construction, mining, government and communities. Safety is our highest priority: it influences our actions and shapes our culture.
Why Work for Tervita?
- Competitive wages and comprehensive benefit plan
- Opportunities for career growth
- Industry - leading experience
- A culture that puts safety first
Based out of Calgary, AB but working throughout the province, the Side Boom Operator is responsible for operating heavy equipment used in the derailment response including lifting rail cars, locomotives, etc. The Heavy Equipment Operator will also be operating in sites where use of Winch Cat is required, ability to operate other equipment such as Dozer, Excavator, Loader and Shear would be an asset.
- Ensure all Tervita safety policies and procedures are followed
- Operate backhoes to load earth, rock, contaminated soil, steel, demolition debris, etc. into heavy trucks or train cars
- Transport material from excavation to stockpile
- Operate heavy dredging equipment to deepen waterways or reclaim earth fill
- Use heavy equipment to build slurry trenches and walls
- Conduct pre-operational checks on equipment
- Clean, lubricate and fuel all equipment and general site housekeeping
- Ensure safety fences / markings are all in place
- Notify supervisor and or repair shop of any required work to be done
- A minimum 5 years or 5,000 hours of equipment operating experience
- Prior Side Boom experience
- Previous Dozer, Excavator, Loader and Shear operating would be an asset
- Willing and able to work long hours, overtime and possible weekend work in various weather conditions
- Willing and able to work away from home for lengthy periods of time on different projects
- Must be available 24-7 with the ability to travel to various work locations as well as be on-call for ER response
- Ability to complete safety documentation in an accurate and timely manner
- Strong mechanical knowledge with respect to the maintenance, servicing and repair of heavy duty equipment
- Be fit for work every day
Tervita Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, gender/sex, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, military/veteran status, citizenship status, the basis of genetic information or any other group protected by Federal or Provincial law or local ordinance.
Applicants who are extended an employment offer will be required to complete a pre-employment check. All employment offers are contingent upon the successful completion of this pre-employment process.