Tervita is a leading environmental solutions provider. Our integrated earth, water, waste and resource solutions deliver safe and efficient results through all phases of a project by minimizing impact, maximizing returns.™ Our dedicated employees are trusted sustainability partners to oil and gas, construction, mining, government and communities. Safety is our highest priority: it influences our actions and shapes our culture.
Why Work for Tervita?
- Competitive wages and comprehensive benefit plan
- Opportunities for career growth
- Industry - leading experience
- A culture that puts safety first
Tervita Waste Management has an immediate need for an experienced Operations Supervisor to join our Beaverlodge / Fort St John team. The Operations Supervisor is responsible for supervising various aspects of the business including: facility operations, field operation, contracts and transportation.
- Ensure all staff are abiding by Tervita’s Occupational health and Safety Program and set a positive safety example to support Tervita Waste Management’s ongoing commitment to Zero incidents
- Ensure safe, compliant, sustainable operations in all aspects of our work
- Facilitate regular discussions with staff regarding operational improvements, critically review and improve operational processes where required.
- Assist, support and mentor transfer station staff, clarify workload expectations and help lead, inspire and develop them.
- Ensure that all equipment is operated as per the instruction manual and / or Tervita Equipment Procedure Manual
- Supervise all outbound shipments for disposal in regards to Tervita transportation, and loading
- Inspect facility/s for cleanliness, inventory and safety issues, and rectify in a timely and cost effective manner
- Ensure customer waste streams are sent to the appropriate and approved facilities
- Ensure that all waste is handled as per Tervita’s approval as defined by Alberta Environment and British Columbia’s MOE
- Ensure all storage and waste volumes are in compliance
- Ensure all W/O’s are inputted and tracked accurately.
- Generate and control Purchase Orders as per spending limit policy.
- Communicate in a timely fashion with both Internal and External Customers
- Maintain accurate tracking and generation of paperwork for all bins.
- Maintain Fleet as per policy using ARI
- Mentor , liaison and direct lead hand responsible for PRRD contract.
- Maintain excellent relationship with PRRD Contact.
- Mentor , liaison and direct the FSJ dispatcher.
- Participate and lead where directed monthly Safety and Communication meetings.
- Ensure all staff are current on orientations, TDG, WHIMIS, and other required safety tickets
- Sign off on staff timesheets
- Performance management of dispatcher, lead hand and transfer station attendants.
- Generate monthly accruals
- Participate in annual budget preparation.
- Manage annual budget for assigned areas.
- Back fills Ops Mgr on an as required basis
- Minimum 3 - 5 years of experience in a supervisory capacity within the Hazardous Waste and/or Solid Waste Management sector; or comparable industry work experience, or demonstrated competency
- Post-secondary education- Degree or Diploma
- Demonstrated prior hands-on operations experience in field services or facility operations.
- Superior time management skills and ability to work effectively under pressure; be able to deliver under compressed timelines and to manage the constantly changing priorities
- Ability to develop, nurture and maintain strong relationships with Tervita internal and external clients
- Must be able to travel occasionally and be available outside of regular business hours
- Willingness to be on call, responding to incident response calls and worksite problems as required
- Strong computer software skills (MS Office Suite and other operational software applications), including the use of mobile devices
- Valid and current Class 5 Driver’s License
Tervita Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, gender/sex, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, military/veteran status, citizenship status, the basis of genetic information or any other group protected by Federal or Provincial law or local ordinance.
Applicants who are extended an employment offer will be required to complete a pre-employment check. All employment offers are contingent upon the successful completion of this pre-employment process.