Tervita is a leading environmental solutions provider. Our integrated earth, water, waste and resource solutions deliver safe and efficient results through all phases of a project by minimizing impact, maximizing returns.™ Our dedicated employees are trusted sustainability partners to oil and gas, construction, mining, government and communities. Safety is our highest priority: it influences our actions and shapes our culture.
Why Work for Tervita?
- Competitive wages and comprehensive benefit plan
- Opportunities for career growth
- Industry - leading experience
- A culture that puts safety first
At Tervita Environmental Services, we are always looking for Seasonal Heavy Equipment Operators to help support various upcoming projects.
The Heavy Equipment Operator is responsible for day-to-day duties on site needed to complete work in a safe and timely fashion and maintain a clean work site. This may include the demolition and reclamation of contaminated sites, including the removal of underground storage tanks, excavation of contaminated soils, construction of landfills, installation of pipeline systems for water treatment and venting, and building demolition. This position must also adhere to our safety program and work as a contributing member of the site team.
This position will be based out of the Hamilton, Ontario area and will travel to project sites. Applicants may live within an eight (8) hour stretch of Hamilton, Ontario.
- Ensure all Tervita safety policies and procedures are followed
- Be cognizant of and adhere to any site specific safety requirements
- Partake in all safety related meetings including: daily tail gates, last minute risk assessment, etc.
Loading Material / Material Management
- Load various materials such as earth, rock, contaminated soil, steel, demolition debris, etc. into heavy trucks or train cars
- Transport material from excavation to stockpile
Operating of Machinery / Equipment
- Operating various types of heavy construction equipment
- Ensure proper attachment is used, i.e., digging bucket, wrist twist, allu bucket, shear
- Must be familiar with operating and servicing small equipment
- Must have an understanding of all power and small tools
- Operate heavy equipment with pile driver head to drill test holes into the earth for environmental sampling purposes
- Operate heavy dredging equipment to deepen waterways or reclaim earth fill
- Use heavy equipment to build slurry trenches and walls
- Assist in demolition using long reach and shear attachments
- Establish and maintain relationships at the customers’ level, through active networking, association memberships and general client relations
Various Other Tasks
- General laboring at times, including but not limited to, digging, sweeping, monitoring, sampling and spotting for trucks
- Drive a crew truck to and from site as required
- Ensure slip tanks in pickup are always full
- Conduct pre-operational checks on equipment
- Clean, lubricate and fuel all equipment and general site housekeeping
- Ensure safety fences / markings are all in place
- Notify supervisor and or repair shop of any required work to be done
- 5000 hours, or 5 years’ experience operating heavy construction equipment
- Bulldozer and/or Excavator experience is required
- Valid and current Class 5 Driver’s License
- Basic comprehension and ability to follow Tervita’s Workplace Health and Safety requirements relevant to the assigned work site, including but not limited to Tervita’s “Stop & Think Process” and Tervita’s “Hazard Assessment Process”
- Ability to complete safety documentation in an accurate and timely manner
- Ability to perform physical tasks, including lifting, shoveling, moving containers and other heavy materials
- Strong work ethic and willingness to persevere through difficult weather conditions, challenging work site environments, and long demanding work days
- Willingness to work away from home for significant blocks of time, moving from project to project as required
- Ability to manage weather and/or seasonal interruptions in work schedule
- Fit-for-Work each day
Tervita Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, gender/sex, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, military/veteran status, citizenship status, the basis of genetic information or any other group protected by Federal or Provincial law or local ordinance.
Applicants who are extended an employment offer will be required to complete a pre-employment check. All employment offers are contingent upon the successful completion of this pre-employment process.